Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Little Guy

I took Joseph in for his 2 month check up on Monday. A staff guy brought me into the room where we weigh him and I asked if I should take off all his clothes. He said, "no, it's fine." The only reason I asked was because since he weighed so little before, the doctor wanted me to weigh him with no clothes on because those ounces make a difference in these little babies. Anyway, he weighed in at 8lbs 9oz and he measured 22 1/2 inches long. After the doctor came in and looked at his measurements he said his length is in the 33rd percentile but his weight was only in the 8th percentile. He asked if that was with his clothes off and I said no, so he had us go weigh him again with no clothes and he weighed 8lbs 1oz. So as far as his weight goes he is under the 5th percentile! He's just a little guy! The doctor said everything else looks really great and he's doing really well. I had been supplementing with 4oz of formula for about a week and he recommended I up it to 8-12oz a day. He told me it's likely that my body just doesn't produce milk with a lot of calories in it. I asked him if it has anything to do with what I am eating or the amounts and he said no. He wants me to come in again on Monday to weigh him. Joseph did really great there at the office. He even gave the doctor a big, charming smile while he was examining him!

The one thing I didn't do there though was get any vaccination shots. I have been hesitant to do that. I've read things on both sides of the issue and what I'm leaning towards is giving him these basic vaccinations: pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus and polio, but waiting until he is 2 years old and only one at a time. This is based on a recommendation in this article. I'm kind of toeing the line on this issue and would love to hear what you think about vaccinations, if you've ever questioned the issue. I really appreciate my doctor because he is not pushy at all and I don't feel like he's "looking down on me" for questioning such a standard practice. I was so grateful that he was understanding and even sympathetic to my hesitancy. He encouraged me to continue to research the issue on both sides, being sure to read reliable sources, and to just make a decision based on what I feel is best.

7 wonderful people have this to say:

Ashley said...

Cute! I love the new background and look! :)

Rachael said...

I personally haven't questioned vacintations, I would rather have my children be prepared and be able to fight any thing that comes their way and with out vacinations it is more likely for them to die from a deadly disease. I am glad that I got the shots for the girls I haven't had any problems.

Vee said...

I just saw a commercial today about the importance of vaccinating before they turn two. Basically they were saying that more complications happen when you wait until after they are two. What are your thoughts on this?
I have questioned whether or not to vaccinate, but I haven't researched if age made a difference so I don't know.
I know that there are quite a few stories of immunizations causing defects, but the correlation if there is any, is really low. I just feel like those diseases that these vaccinations prevent caused a lot of deaths in the past, and I want my child to be safe from those, plus I don't want those diseases to pop back up, so I'm all for immunizations. But it's one of many decisions parents have to make in their child's life, and you have decide what's right for you and your child. Keep doing your research on both sides of the story, and good luck. It is a tough one.

Emily H. said...

We don't know for sure, but it appears that a vaccination may have triggered all of my health problems. So I don't get them anymore. My doctor said that he didn't believe in them either. It's such a hard question for infants, though, because they are susceptible to so much more than we are as adults. You'll have to let us all know what you decide...

Emily said...

Hey Linds,
Here is just a website on the the other side of the view on getting vaccinated. Just some food for thought. I know its a tough choice but I believe Heavenly Father gave us certain things, especially medical to help us avoid and prevent possible pain and heartache such as some of these preventable diseases can cause. And maybe they do over vaccinate, but I believe most of them are very important. Chicken pox is miserable, but livable. Some of the others, not so much with the devistating concequences of the diseases. http://www.ecbt.org/parents/vaccinesafety.cfm
I know you and John will make the best decision you both feel is best for Joseph. Good luck and I love all three of you.

Melissa Monday said...

I've had a ton of conflict on whether or not to vaccinate my kids when they are super little. I think vaccinations are very safe, but I personally think it's easier on them to wait until they are a little older. I don't want anyone to think that I am not an advocate for vaccinations. I feel strongly that they are the reason that we don't have to deal with as many horrible infectious diseases anymore. Most of my kids didn't get their first vaccination until around 6 months. I also like the idea of doing them one at a time, even breaking down the dtp shot. We didn't have insurance until Hyrum was about 6 months, and they gave him a bunch of shots at his 6 month visit. It was horrible for him (he reacts badly to shots anyway, but all those at the same time was really, really hard on him). Anyway, I think waiting until kids are a little older and giving one or two vaccinations at a time is best, in my personal opinion.

Lauren Ball, Illustrator said...

I read the article you referenced by Dr. Donald Miller Jr., and I must say that at first I was put off by his association with LewRockwell et all, but after reading it, it seems like he makes a good case. Yes, immunize, but spread it out. I was expecting more paranoia (and he does show his anti-government card), but overall he seems to know what he's talking about.