Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bookworm

So in the year 2008, I read 54 books, as listed below. I bolded the ones that are my top recommendations to read! (although just because I didn't bold it, doesn't mean I didn't like it.) You can visit my goodreads page for my ratings on each one, if you're interested. Oh, and there are three series in this list that I'll just recommend here. In fact, I want to do separate posts on them. They are the Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye, The Great and Terrible series by Chris Stewart and The Children of the Promise series by Dean Hughes. I really love reading (if you can't tell) and have already started 2009 with a great start, reading 6 books so far. I love reading recommendations from others... so if you've got a book that you think I should read, please comment!

  1. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
  2. Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra – book 4 by Obert Skye
  3. Rachel and Leah: Women of Genesis by Orson Scott Card
  4. The Alchemist by Paul Coelho
  5. The Mourning Dove: A Story of Love by Larry Barkdull
  6. A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks
  7. Inside the World of Warren Jeffs by Dr. Carole Western
  8. The Work and the Glory, Vol. 4: Thy Gold to Refine by Gerald N. Lund
  9. As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, Vol. 5) by Dean Hughes
  10. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  11. Peter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave Barry
  12. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
  13. Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box by the Arbinger Institute
  14. Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
  15. Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want – book 3 by Obert Skye
  16. Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
  17. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
  18. When We Meet Again (Children of the Promise, Vol. 4) by Dean Hughes
  19. Master by Toni Sorenson
  20. Far from Home (Children of the Promise Vol 3) by Dean Hughes
  21. The Great and the Terrible: From the End of Heaven, Book 5 by Chris Stewart
  22. Hidden Treasures: Heaven's Astonishing Help with Your Money Matters by Leslie Householder
  23. Pathways to Perfection: Discourses of Thomas S. Monson by Thomas S. Monson
  24. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
  25. An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems by Glenn Beck
  26. Since You Went Away (Children of the Promise, Volume 2) by Dean Hughes
  27. Rumors of War (Children of the Promise, Vol 1) by Dean Hughes
  28. The Work and the Glory, Vol. 3: Truth Will Prevail by Gerald N. Lund
  29. The Work and the Glory, Vol. 2: Like a Fire Burning by Gerald N. Lund
  30. The Work and the Glory, Vol. 1: Pillar of Light by Gerald N. Lund
  31. Sterling Biographies: Thomas Jefferson: Architect of Freedom by Rita Thievon Mullin
  32. The Tiger in the Well (Sally Lockhart Trilogy, Book 3) by Philip Pullman
  33. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
  34. Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 4) by C.S. Lewis
  35. The Horse and His Boy (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3) by C.S. Lewis
  36. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2) by C.S. Lewis
  37. The Great and Terrible Fury & Light, Vol. 4 by Chris Stewart
  38. The Great and Terrible, Vol. 3: The Second Sun by Chris Stewart
  39. Where Angels Fall: The Great and Terrible, Vol. 2 by Chris Stewart
  40. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry
  41. Final Exam: A Surgeon's Reflections on Mortality by Pauline W. Chen
  42. The Holy Secret by James L. Ferrell
  43. The Sacrifice by Kathleen Benner Duble
  44. Bonds That Make Us Free: Healing Our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves by C. Terry Warner
  45. Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy by Donald B. Kraybill
  46. Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
  47. Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions about Birthing Centers, Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, and Hospital Birth by Barbara Harper
  48. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
  49. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  50. The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker
  51. The Great and Terrible Vol. 1 - Prologue: The Brothers by Chris Stewart
  52. The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by the Arbinger Institute
  53. The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ (I recommend reading this as often as possible!)
  54. The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks

4 wonderful people have this to say:

RobbandTKandfam said...

If you liked the Work and the Glory at all, read the The Fire of the Covenant, amazing book. It's the same author and it's about the Martin and Willie Handcart company's. I cried threw half the book.

Ashley said...

I love the Children of the Promise Series! He also has The Hearts of the Children Series that tells about the children in the Children of the Promise Series.

Becca said...

Hey, thanks for the recommendations! I too appreciate them! I have read a few of these but there are many I haven't. Thanks!

Shboogoo's Mommy said...

Thanks for sharing your list. You really are a reader! I looked some of these up on Shelfari (I use it much more than goodreads) and plan to read some of them. My book club is going to read The Alchemist soon. I have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and thought it was really interesting.