I'm sharing with you what I wrote in my actual journal this morning for therapy. I'm sure many mothers will understand. I don't think Joseph has colic, so I know it could be a lot worse. Just for the record, I think all parents with a "colicky" baby deserve great rewards... I don't know how you do it.
Januray 16, 2009
God grant me patience. I wish I could comfort little Joseph, but right now all I have the ability to do is to hold him in my lap and let him cry. He's been crying straight for the last twenty minutes. What can I do? I know he is tired. In fact he has just about plum tuckered himself out from crying and is mostly asleep. I say mostly because he keeps making deep, shuddering sighs, sniffles & hiccups, but his eyes are closed and he is trying desperately to sleep now. He gave such a deep hiccup that it scared him awake and he cried for a few seconds and then he went back to sleep. I think he's pretty much out by now, thank heavens.
Wow! Crying is HARD to deal with!!! I knew he was tired so I was trying to put him to sleep and he would fall asleep for like three minutes and then he would start squirming and wake up and cry inconsolably for about three minutes and then he would fall asleep again. I think he had some lower gas rumbles in his tummy that were waking him up. And that's the worst because I don't know really how to relieve lower gas for babies!
Anyway, after he had woken up for the third time and started crying I realized that I was getting really too tense and frustrated. I would hug him really tight and kiss his face, but I noticed I was gritting my teeth pretty hard and I felt like handling him roughly. So even though he was still crying, I put him down on the couch and just walked away because I knew I needed a break or I would hurt him. I went in the kitchen and sat on the floor and plugged my ears (of course I could still hear him though) and just tried to focus on releasing the tension in me. It took about 10 minutes before I felt relaxed again, but I still wasn't ready to pick him up or try to quiet him. So I ate a bowl of cereal, the first thing I've eaten today, and it's almost noon. That's fairly typical for me. I have a hard time eating if Joseph is not sleeping or content in his swing. And it's usually not until noon that I get to that point.
It's not often that I just leave him and let him cry it out like I did today, especially because he's so young. While I was sitting in the kitchen I kept replaying something Rachel (my sister-in-law) has told me before and my response to it now. See, Rachel REALLY REALLY loves babies and although she says she wants to wait, I KNOW she would think it was "awesome" if she were to become pregnant soon. But she really has no idea what she'd be getting herself into and I know she isn't ready to handle motherhood safely yet. I think she would end up hurting her baby and/or herself. Anyway, being that she loves babies, she has this video that she had wanted me to watch that talks about mothering and advises that you not ever just leave your baby to cry because then they may learn that no one is there for them, or no one will help meet their needs, etc. And Rachel seemed to really agree with that.
Anyway, my response to that came as I was sitting in the kitchen. While I feel strongly that I will do all within my power and ability to take care of the needs of my children, I also feel strongly that there is nothing wrong with leaving my baby to cry IF it means that I won't be squeezing him, shaking him, biting him, throwing him, or suffocating him! I would NEVER intentionally do any of those things, but I don't think it's wicked to admit that I COULD. I was shocked at the tension I felt and the flippant way I put Joseph on the couch when he was crying and I really think it's much better to take a little break to collect myself than to keep holding him while he cries inconsolably and allow that tension to build.
Anyway, Joseph, and all my other future children, just know that if I ever walk away from you, it's for your own good and because I love you and need to cool down. Believe it or not, I do have a fiery temper and can get quite wound up if I stay in situations that get my gears all wound up!
Back to what happened today. When I finished eating my cereal I had the idea to record Joseph crying and then have Rachel listen to it and watch her squirm. I think it just may curb her desire to have children so soon, if at all. Yes, babies are adorably cute and you just can't seem to get enough of their infectious smiles and coos, but if you can't also handle the cries, for there are many, then you are not ready to have kids. I recorded 7 minutes of Joseph before he finally fell asleep in my lap and now, guess what. He's awake again. And although he's wiggly, he is wide-eyed and contentedly cooing at me. I think he's still tired, though. But he needs a diaper change and he's started to fuss again, so, here I go!! Super Mother to the rescue!!
Fireworks
7 years ago
12 wonderful people have this to say:
I think it's awesome that you are so honest about your feelings. I really appreciate your willingness to share. Good luck, colic is really hard. :)
I have walked away to cool off a few times through the 3 babies, and I think its healthy to recognize your limits and respect them!
I admire you for being so honest! It feels SO good to know that I am not the only one who feels overwhelmed sometimes!
I'm with ya. I think never letting a baby cry is crap. At times like that you do need to walk away and cool off. You did the right thing. I have had to walk away so many times, I even give myself time outs now that I have a four year old and she really knows how to push my buttons. I find that calling a friend and just having them talk to me helps a lot. So if you ever need someone to call, please call me. I'll have to email you my phone number though. I don't really want to leave it here. You are doing great Sunny B. Thanks for sharing!
It's really great that you are willing to share this so honestly. I, too, see nothing wrong with walking away. I don't have children (yet), but this reminded me of the saying, "Never go to bed angry." I quickly learned in my marriage that this is the worst idea possible. Sometimes petty arguments are fueled by lack of sleep and I've found that the BEST thing to do is just leave it until morning when we're both a little more level-headed. I imagine I'll hold the same sort of philosophy when I have kids. It's important to take time for yourself to just cool off!
Sunny B, you are a wonderful mother, and you did the RIGHT thing. I totally look up to you!!!!
Thank you so much Sunbeam. I really needed someone to be honest about his kind of thing. This is one of my biggest fears is my baby crying to the point that I get frustrated. It helps me to realize that it is ok, and better, for your babies sake and yourself. You are amazing, and don't ever doubt that you made the right decision. I am behind %110!!
Thank you for being so honest in sharing your feelings. I'm sure so many moms feel this way & even guilty for feeling this way, but doing what's best for baby/kids does NOT always mean codling them 24/7. Good job mommy!! Love you!
hi
Sunbeam! I need your address so that Coach can send you a wedding invitation. Can you email me at jjpackster@yahoo.com with it? Thanks!
Cricket :)
Sunbeam--
I totally understand how you feel. Before Nora was born I would have agreed with you in theory, but it's so much harder to do in real life. Now that I know what it's like, I feel for you more than you know. When my Nora is crying, I remember what my mom has always said. "It never hurts a baby to cry for a little bit. It develops his/her lungs." So I know that I probably cried as a baby sometimes and I turned out okay. Know that my thoughts are with you, especially in those tough times.
Vanilla
oh Linds I am so there, all three of my kids had reflux. They cried non stop for the first six months of there lives. My dr said to go on a lot of walks, even in the winter. More for my sanity than for the baby. I invested in a lot of gas drops for my third one; they help a lot!!! You are such a sweet person, and good for you for walking away. I did it a lot, and I got myself a good pair of ear plugs. I'm here for ya...
Post a Comment