Wednesday, March 04, 2009

What's in a Name?

The twins are home now and doing well, as is their mom. Don't you think more twins seem to be being born these days? I do. Anyway, here's Mary


and Elizabeth.

I have always loved the name Elizabeth. I've wanted to name one of my daughters Elizabeth, but spell it Elisabeth. Apparently I'm not the only one. Come to find out at least two of my sister-in-laws have also wanted to name one of their daughters Elizabeth. And now that Kristi beat us all to it, what does that mean for our future children? I think we should all still stick to our names we like. So what if there are Elizabeth 1, 2, 3 & 4 at Thanksgiving dinner!

I've also always loved the name Emma. One of my good friends has named her two daughters Emma and Elizabeth. I still intended to use those names. And then she asked us if anything ever happened to her and her husband if John and I would become guardians of their children. So now, even though there is a slight possibility (heaven forbid) of those girls becoming our own... I still intend on using the names. lol. Am I crazy?

Would you still use a name that you really really like, even if someone else in your family or a close friend uses that name before you are able to?

5 wonderful people have this to say:

Kenneth and Emily said...

So, Kenneth and I totally have this problem. Our top 2 names were always David and Rebekah and his sister used Rebekah and his brother used David. I think that might be too close... but I can't decide... I think we might have to use our back up names. (Jack and grace).

Ashley said...

I think it would be a little much if there were 3 or 4 Eliz(s)abeths in your family. haha. But I'm always afraid of that happening once I have kids. My aunt already named one of her kids Kamille, which was always one of my favorites. But now I have 3 names I absolutely love and definitely plan on using in the future. I've only told a few people my choices so that people wouldn't (I hope) go behind my back and still use those names. Ya know? Ugh. One of my friends loves one of the names I plan on using, she plans to use it too. Which is fine.

RobbandTKandfam said...

I am on the opposite end of that right now. My sister-in-law who just got married wants to name one of her daughters Ruth, it is their Grandma's name. I say more power to her, that is her decision.I feel that if you feel strongly about a name for a life that is coming into the world you should use it, that is why Ruth is Ruth, and if someone wants to give me crap about it they can.

The Bakers said...

I couldn't but only because I am one of millions of Emily's and I have always hated being Emily L or Emily 3 or trying to pick which one in going to go by what. So I am kind of crazy about my names being original but I would not be mad, sad or even care if someone was super passionate about it and wanted to use one of my kids names, but because it matters so much to me I even ask if a name is going to similar to there kids.

Vee said...

It's a personal preference. My family had a similar problem. Some of my aunts who all married into the family loved the name Eliza, but my sister had just been born. So they used different variations of it. We have Eliza, Ellie, Ezrie(not really a variation but similar). The great thing about Elisabeth is that there are so many variations and so many nicknames that go with it. Unless you are all set on calling your daughter Elisabeth, I think it's ok to have more than one Elizabeth in the family. Now a Brett or a Emily, I wouldn't be as keen because there aren't as many variations. As you can probably tell I'm not for having duplicates of names in family, friends are fine because fact is people move. I really enjoyed having my own identity through life and not having to add my last name initial in school. My husband on the other hand doesn't mind at all and there are a billion Mikes our age. So it's totally up to you, if you feel strongly do it.