Thursday, August 28, 2008

Eating is Annoying

This really is one of my great annoyances of life. It's so annoying to me to interrupt what I'm doing because I'm HUNGRY. And then to feel like a little scavenger going through my fridge and cupboards. The fact that eating is annoying to me is not helped by the fact that I greatly dislike preparing food. I dislike deciding what to eat for myself, planning meals for dinners, making sure that I stop doing whatever I'm doing in time to actually have dinner at a decent hour. And it is annoying that I'm supposed to eat three meals a day, and even more annoying being pregnant... that number goes up. It's not like I don't like food, I actually do. I like it when other people prepare it. completely. I love visiting others and never having to worry about deciding what to eat because they are such wonderful hosts and do all that for me. And it's somewhat humorous to me that whenever I visit other family members' homes, they always prepare delicious meals for us, but whenever we get visits to our house they either bring their own food and do their own cooking for us all in my kitchen, or they order out pizza and pop and breadsticks. I don't think I've ever cooked for visiting family members. And I have been served more times that I even care to count. Wow. I'm sure grateful for family who loves me in spite of my great inhospitableness. That they love me and still cook for me.

I am seriously going to have to get over this annoyance though, because life's going to be quite different having a little kid around the place. My husband, he can scavenge along with me, but baby? yikes. It is one of my greatest hopes that his greatest desire will be to be a chef, and that he'll start young. I'll gladly hand over that responsibility.

7 wonderful people have this to say:

April said...

Once your baby is born, you could probably just scatter some M&M's on the floor every few hours and he'll learn to get them, and then you won't have to worry about preparing meals!

April said...

By the way, what did you dream of last night? I always knew I was the woman of your dreams!

Yatesfam said...

Oh man I totally agree with you! I hate trying to figure out what to cook, especially with 2 little ones that have totally different likes ;) but at least for the first year you don't really have to worry about it...

Jake and Kate said...

I hear ya, sister! I'm with ya all the way! I don't know what's wrong with me!? I look at my mom and mother in law and they just seem to love to cook dinner for people, and I just don't get it!?! I like the M&M idea, I'll have to try it. Baby food is a beautiful thing, just peel, heat (sometimes), and serve! :) Whoa, sorry for the long comment, I'm just glad that you left a comment on my blog and that I can look at your cute blog too! Congrats on the baby, it won't be long now!!

Elaine said...

Yeah, then you can take that first year to prepare! Well - this 9 months plus that first year ... honestly though, I doubt it comes even that quick! My hubby's the cook. I'm trying to learn, though!

Bekah said...

This post made me so happy! I thought I was the only mormon woman in the world who hates to cook! :)

Shboogoo's Mommy said...

This made me smile. I feel that way sometimes because there are so many other things I want to do. Leftovers are quick so they are great, and so is produce. I don't think my mom hates to cook, but she eating at 8:00 or later is pretty common for her.