So I was first introduced to Glenn Beck at my grandma's house who just loves watching him. Even though we don't have tv at our house, I do catch him on CNN every now and then when I'm at family's and have enjoyed his show. So at the library a few weeks ago, I saw his book and checked it out. It has been a really enjoyable read. I'm just about finished with it. I wanted to share this little part from it that had me giggling for the rest of the night after I saw it. I read this about global warming:
"As soon as it's released, the main report from the UN IPCC is always immediately embraced by the mainstream media. But the UN released another report on climate change in November 2006 that barely received any coverage at all. It was the same organization talking about the same topic, but this report didn't fit neatly into the media's political agenda, so it was largely ignored.
The report stated that livestock and the industry revolving around it are responsible for 18 percent of all greenhouse gases when measured in CO2 equivalent. That's more than the entire worldwide transportation sector.
My first reaction was to support the brutal murder of all cows. 'Attention, Hollywood vegans: you're either with us or you're with the bovines.' But I quickly reminded myself about the law of supply and demand: The more juicy porterhouse you eat, the more cows they'll bring into this world to kill our lovely planet.
Livestock is responsible for 65 percent of a less publicized greenhouse gas - nitrous oxide - that warms the planet 296 times more than CO2. In addition, livestock's 'natural emissions' produce methane, which warms the planet 23 times as much as CO2 (and is infinitely more fragrant). Since meat consumption is due to double by 2050, it's only going to get worse.
In addition, because methane cycles out of the atmosphere in less than one-twelfth of the time that CO2 does, avoiding meat is a far quicker and more effective way of cutting greenhouse gases. I know that Al Gore is forced to travel around the globe in private jets to give his fancy slide shows, but he doesn't have to eat meat. Neither do global warming campaigners Bill Clinton, Arnold Scwarzenegger, or John McCain; but they all do it anyway. At least we finally have one piece of science that is settled: Any global warming activist who isn't a vegan is a hypocrite."
And the next page had this picture on it, which is what I couldn't stop laughing about every time I thought of it:
Fireworks
7 years ago

1 wonderful people have this to say:
Ha ha, that's a funny picture! I like this post a lot because it's so true how the media just covers what they want covered, and it creates this facade that so many people buy into. Sometimes it's hard to actually find the facts and make smart evaluations of what's going on in our world. But I for sure don't do it by watching tv... when I watch tv and look at magazines, I'm always so critical!
I used to work in an after-school program, and every week we had a science teacher come and teach some interesting concepts to the kids. One day she and I got to talking about global warming and she laughed and said how when dinosaurs were on the Earth, the heat created by their droppings would create even more global "warmth" than we have now. She said people need to stop listening to politicians on that subject and start listening to scientists. I'm no expert on any of that, but I thought it was an interesting point, and I always take it into account when I hear opinions (or "facts") about global warming. So anyway, your post just made me think about all those things.
Love, Alabama
Post a Comment