Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dance

If there's one thing I wish I could have done more of as a youth it would have been dance. I never considered myself very coordinated, but I've always loved music and pick up rhythm pretty well too. I fell in love with couple dancing when I went to a youth conference with my cousin in Texas and was asked to dance the Swing by one of her friends who was such a good dancer! He could do lifts and everything. He could lead and I could follow, so it didn't matter that I had never danced like that before in my life... I felt like I could do anything! It was so exhilarating and whetted my appetite for more of it.

So in my senior year of high school I went out on a limb and took a social dance class. It was my favorite class ever! We learned the Waltz, Cha Cha, Foxtrot, and West Coast Swing among others. I took a country western dance class at SLCC my first year of college and absolutely loved that as well. The Two Step was so much fun. And there was a guy in my class who was a wonderful leader. I felt like I could dance with him forever! I went Latin dancing with my cousins a few times and country dancing with my aunt and cousin a few times as well. And in college I went country dancing a few times with my friends, but it sizzled out because I didn't know any guys who could dance. So disappointing!

I love dancing so much so that "to be in a professional ballroom dance competition" even ended up on my list of my biggest dreams! Somehow, though, I ended up dancing the penguin dance with my husband on our wedding day. And even that was more than I expected due to John's extent of dancing expertise (which is nill.) I tell you, there's not a whole lot that would make me happier than dancing, really dancing, with my husband. *sigh*

So, in the meantime, while I'm patiently waiting for him to sweep me off my feet, literally... I've been living vicariously through So You Think You Can Dance. We don't have TV, so every week when we go watch our nephews, I catch up on the episodes that Diane records on the DVR. This is the first season that I've watched it and it is a lot of fun. Ballroom dances are my favorite. Like the Cha Cha, Tango, Samba, Waltz, and the Jive. My favorite contestants are Janette and Brandon. Their Cha Cha and the Argentine Tango were incredible! And I simply loved their Jazz routine.

There's just something about the way that dance connects the body, soul, music and passion together that really stirs me up deep down inside. I feel I would be a better person were I to allow that magic deep within me to surface. I want a dance partner to help bring it out of me... so unless John's ok with me dancing with my neighbor (whom I just discovered loves dancing as well, whereas his wife does not) then I'll just wait for him to start dancing with me. My chances might be higher with encouraging my sons to dance and then dancing with them when they are old enough! I'm not saying I want to wait that long though...

John, have you picked up my hints yet? ;)

Photobucket

5 wonderful people have this to say:

Mrs. Lay said...

I loved social dance, too. We should take a social dance class at the college & maybe our husbands will join in. ;)

Emily H. said...

Haha, good ol' social dance with Kasparian. That was a fun class!

The Silva's said...

We should take a dance class with our hubbies. We have been wanting to take one for a long time.

P.S. I love that you have "She's my Kind of Rain" on here. I still love love love that song.

The Silva's said...

I decided I want to come raid your music. I have had your blog open on my computer for an hour and a half so I could listen to your music.

Shboogoo's Mommy said...

I agree, and my husband is like yours. We did take a one-hour class once at the Murray Arts Center, I think before we were even married. In my high school and college social dance classes it was so fun to dance with the guys who were good at leading. I don't watch So You Think You Can Dance, but maybe I should. I just don't watch much TV at all.