Saturday, August 04, 2007

Freedom Writers

I just finished watching the movie Freedom Writers, based on a true story and I have to say it was one of the BEST movies I've seen, period. The actors did a superb job, but it was so much more than that. The story... it was one of the best portrayals I've ever seen of what it means to be a REAL teacher. I believe a REAL teacher is someone who cares personally about the lives of those they teach. They care to listen, they care to understand. A real teacher leads by example of choosing to do what is RIGHT above that which is popular or easy. A real teacher helps others realize how they fit into the history of the world. A real teacher promotes change. And the kids! The battles that the youth of today have to fight! The youth of today ARE strong and they hunger for principles of truth! They are deeply hurt and disappointed when their hearts are violated through neglect, violence, hate, disrespect, and abuse in any form. When they are young, they still have hope and they also have a strong passion to defend their freedoms. The older they become and the more their hearts are violated, that light in their souls begins to diminish and they begin to believe that "this is just the way it is." Well, I feel like screaming out, "there IS STILL HOPE!!!" And hope becomes evident when people are willing to speak out against the darkness of hatred, intolerance and disrespect and in stead show through example the light that forgiveness and love brings to hearts. I just want to make a public declaration that I highly admire those freedom writers and their teacher as well as all those others who are fighting to make a difference. They truly are heroes, every one of them, and they stand as a pillar of light for the world to see!!!

2 wonderful people have this to say:

Kristi said...

We watched this movie a couple of weeks ago too and I loved it! Thanks for writing your thoughts on it too!

Melissa Monday said...

I've really wanted to see this. Your description has inspired me to go and rent this movie. I'll let you know what I think (the only problem is that I rarely watch a movie--with Michael teaching early morning seminary we go to bed a lot earlier than we used to--later than we should, but earlier than we did).