Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Wave

Last week we got a phone call to see if we'd be in town for the weekend. My granddad and his wife Bette were planning a trip to Southern Utah and wanted to stay with us. Granddad was wanting to take some pictures of a landmark called: the Wave, and he invited us to go on the hike with them. We were excited to go and borrowed a backpack for Joseph from a friend. The hike didn't sound too long or hard, just a bit of a drive to get there. It's located in between Kanab and Page, Arizona along the border of Utah and Arizona. We'd never heard of it before but thought it would be a great opportunity to spend some quality time with my grandparents. In Kanab we met up with my cousin and his girlfriend whom I had not seen in about 15 years! It was nice to reaquaint ourselves. And although the hike took us 4 1/2 hours round trip and had some hard parts due to hiking in sand (not easy), it was well worth the trip! It was really windy at "the wave" and we spent a lot of time shielding Joseph the best we could from all the sand that the wind would blast. Joseph did really great for his first hike! Except that it was a constant battle to keep his hat on his head when he wasn't sleeping! Here's our pictures from it:

Joseph fell asleep pretty early into our hike.The bulk of the hike is over petrified sand dunes. They're pretty cool looking, huh.
There were some incredible colors layered into the rocks the closer we got to "the wave."
And finally, here we are together in "the wave."
I'm so impressed my grandparents both did this hike! Way to go Granddad and Bette!
"The Wave" is pretty incredible, don't you think?
This was Joseph towards the end of our hike on the way back. He fell asleep again on the way down.
Oh yeah. And we had a rattlesnake cross our path on the way back down. I was very glad that he didn't feel threatened by us.

Photobucket

4 wonderful people have this to say:

Judy said...

Looks like a great time for all of you! So glad you got to spend time with Dad and Bette!! Love seeing pictures of Joseph and always looking for more!

Bonnie said...

I would love to have you take me on this hike! Please, pretty please!

The Silva's said...

Holy cow! A rattlesnake!!! I have never actually seen one and I think this picture is the closest I ever want to come to seeing one. The scenery is awesome!!!

Mrs. Lay said...

What a cutie! (Joseph that is. Lol.) Must've been a pretty comfortable backpack. ;) I've heard there is a waiting list to be able to hike there, but maybe that was just a rumor. Looks pretty, either way.