Monday, January 28, 2008

The Passing of President Hinckley


I was shocked at the memorandum that came up on the screen last night when I was watching BYUTV and my husband and I spent about the next hour and a half watching the news broadcast highlighting the life of Gordon B. Hinckley as well as memories, comments and condolences from people all over.

My heart was filled to overflowing last night as I thought about the joyful reunion between him and his wife who passed away about three years previously. I have been inspired for years by the sweet marriage relationship that President Hinckley shared with his wife, Marjorie. They are my greatest exemplars in what an eternal marriage looks like and I am so thankful for their love for each other, their kindness and patience with each other. President Hinckley has said that in all the years he was married, he cannot recall having one quarrel with his wife. He showed me that it's possible to live the kind of life that is full of love, service, optimism and humor.

President Hinckley has been the leader of my church from the time I was 14 years old to now, 26 years old. These were years of incredible personal growth for me and I really attribute a lot of my personal character to his shining faith in me and love for me. Even though I never met him face to face, I have felt personally of his love as he has offered prayers in my behalf. He always had so much faith in the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He always encouraged us to keep pressing forward and to be happy and cheerful and obedient and grateful in all things. I hope that the way I live my life will honor everything that this great man stood for. He will be greatly missed. I am so thankful to know that there will always be a prophet on the earth who receives revelation from the Lord as to how I can live a happier life, be a better person and avoid the pitfalls and deceptions of the evil one who strives to bring me down to his level.

If you would like to learn more about Gordon B. Hinckley's life, click here. And if you would like to learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, click here.

1 wonderful people have this to say:

Rachael said...

THANKS for all your thoughts...I have now TAGGED you.