Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Yost

So, for those of you who don't know, I was born in the boonies. My mom had all of her kids at home. I was born at my grandparent's house in YOST, Utah in the middle of a snowstorm and the doctor was late. Although I visited Yost a few times as a young toddler, I didn't have many memories of it and hadn't been back to visit since earlier this year. John and I just took a trip up there again this past weekend. My step-grandmother lives there and John had built some beautiful bookcases for her in exchange for her painting us a few paintings that are just lovely. Anyway, so I just wanted to make a little posting about Yost, because like it or not, that's where I'm from! It's just so odd to me whenever we've gone there to drive around and think, "this is where I was born." Okay, so about Yost. Yost was first settled by a few people around 1878. By 1887 the town merited a post office and was thereafter officially called Yost after the postmaster Charles Yost. The early settlers opened a few kilns, mills and mercantile stores. By 1892, the population was 91 and as babies were born and some more adults moved in, the town grew in size to 251 people by 1910. And that's as big as it ever got. I asked my grandma just about how many people live in Yost today and she said, "oh, about 26." Now, you've got to understand that Yost is out there. It's about 50 miles out on a dirt road to get there from the nearest town off the highway, Snowville. In fact, the road actually takes you over the Idaho border and then back down into Utah. Yost is just about 3 miles south of the border of Utah and Idaho. And nope, there's not much cell phone service either. I took pictures of the house and room I was born in. Don't laugh. (okay, just kidding, you can... I do!) By the way, this isn't the house that my grandmother now lives in. (thank heavens we don't have to stay here when we go visit!)


1 wonderful people have this to say:

Elaine said...

Wow! I've never been there ... do you think it was anything like how I felt visiting Spring Lake? I really can't believe, though, 26!? Some places you wonder how they still exist as a city, when the population's so small, or at least, what will happen to the city, when there IS not more population??